Barley Mushroom and Herb Risotto
- 6 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (1 cup)
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp chopped fresh chives
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a sauce pan, bring chicken broth to a simmer over medium heat.
- Set aside but keep warm on low heat.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to another medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onions until clear.
- Add barley and sauté 2 more minutes.
- Ladle one half cup of hot broth into barley mixture, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
- Continue that process, one ladle full at a time until the barley is cooked and has a creamy texture.
- Add two tsp olive oil to a medium sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until all of the liquid from the mushrooms is expelled and mushrooms are beginning to brown.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 more minute. Add sautéed mushrooms and garlic to barley mixture, then stir in parsley, chives, salt (optional), ground black pepper and parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately. If the barley risotto gets too thick, add more hot broth, stirring, until creamy.
You can add cooked chicken to this dish!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Nutrition Facts Serving Size: 1/2 cup Calories 190 Carbohydrate 32 g Protein 9 g
Fat 3.5 g Saturated Fat 0.9 g Dietary Fiber 6 g Cholesterol 0 mg Sodium 565 mg
Click here to view original web page: Barley Mushroom and Herb Risotto