Recipe: Mood-Boosting Smoothie
Here’s a diabetes-friendly smoothie recipe that incorporates fresh orange and ginger while also aiming to boost mood.
This smoothie combines the zesty freshness of oranges with the unique kick of ginger, making it a delightful and mood-boosting choice. The high fiber content from the orange and the protein from Greek yogurt help keep blood sugar levels stable, while the ginger and cinnamon add a comforting warmth to your morning routine.
Orange You Glad Mood-Boosting Smoothie
- 1 medium-sized fresh orange (peeled and segmented)
- 1 small piece of fresh ginger (about 1 inch, peeled and chopped)
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt (plain, low-fat)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons of a sugar substitute like stevia (adjust to taste)
- Ice cubes (optional)
- Start by washing and peeling the fresh orange. Remove any seeds and separate it into segments.
- Peel and chop the fresh ginger. You can adjust the amount to your taste preferences; ginger can be quite potent, so start with a small piece and add more if desired.
- In a blender, combine the orange segments, chopped ginger, Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk, chia seeds (if using), ground cinnamon, and vanilla extract.
- If you like your smoothie colder, you can add a handful of ice cubes at this point.
- Add the sugar substitute to sweeten the smoothie to your liking. Start with a small amount and adjust based on your taste and dietary preferences.
- Blend all the ingredients until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency.
- Taste the smoothie and adjust the sweetness or ginger intensity as needed.
- Pour your Orange-Ginger Mood Booster Smoothie into a glass, garnish with a slice of fresh orange or a sprinkle of cinnamon, and enjoy!
Remember to consult with a healthcare professional or a nutritionist to ensure this smoothie aligns with your specific dietary needs.